Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pseudoepinephrine Madness

So I go to the doctor yesterday because my ears are kinda stopped up. He gives me a prescription and tells me to also get an over-the-counter drug, Mucinex-D. Last night I went to the pharmacy and I had gotten there too late; the pharmacy was closed. I figured that I could at least pick up the OTC drug, but no such luck. There was a sign saying that I had to get it from the pharmacist.

Today I went in to get my prescription and the OTC drug, and to get the Mucinex-D, I had to have the pharmacist run my drivers' license and sign something that looked like a loyalty oath! I remarked to the pharmacist that I didn't even have to do that for prescription drugs, and he said that the law says they have to track people who buy anything with pseudoepinephrine in it.

Great. So now just because my ears are stopped up, I'm in a database somewhere as a potential speed lab chemist. What kind of absolute madness is this?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well i went late to CVS to pick up some DAYQUIL so my daughter can get through her final exams tomorrow. They want to run my magnetic strip drivers license. I said no way... input manually and then I had to sign a section of United States Code about fraud and false statements. This is wrong. Now I feel like CVS has information about me that I never would have given them. Is government of the people, for the people? I realize this pseudoepinephrine is used to make an illegal concotion, but I am American citizen with 4th Amendment rights, and clearly CVS is not in a position to run a check on me. If the government feels this "drug" needs to be screened, then by all means make it a prescription drug so that my health coverage insurance can pay for it. Will I have to submit a urine or blood test next time in CVS to purchase a cold remedy?

Anonymous said...

Well, BECAUSE pseudoepinephrine is used to make an illegal concoction, it IS in the process of being phased out as an over-the-counter drug. Don't get yr knickers in a twist.

Don't worry, there's less effective medication if yr concerned with yr 4th amendment rights.

And ideally you can get yr pseudoepinephrine in a script.

Anonymous said...

If you want to see real madness, move in next door to a meth lab.

Anonymous said...

I just saw Diane Feinstien wants to make this a prescription drug in all 50 states. (SJ mercury News 1-17-13)

This is got to be the best gift that the Mexican drug cartels could ask for.

In the meantime I am going to figure out what the shell life of this stuff is and stock away a 40 year supply. I wonder if it is going to raise any flags when I buy this stuff for my anticipated OTC use?

Anonymous said...

Madness is having a horrible cold more madness is living next door to meth lab